184.108.40.206: Non-text content (screen reading supported)
Where ICT is non-web software that provides a user interface and that supports access to assistive technologies for screen reading, it shall satisfy the success criterion in Table 11.1.
Table 11.1: Software success criterion: Non-text content
All non-text content that is presented to the user has a text alternative that serves the equivalent purpose, except for the situations listed below:
- Controls, Input: If non-text content is a control or accepts user input, then it has a name that describes its purpose. (Refer to WCAG 2.0 Guideline 4.1  for additional requirements for controls and content that accepts user input.)
- Time-Based Media: If non-text content is time-based media, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content. (Refer to WCAG 2.0 Guideline 1.2  for additional requirements for media.)
- Test: If non-text content is a test or exercise that would be invalid if presented in text, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content.
- Sensory: If non-text content is primarily intended to create a specific sensory experience, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content.
- CAPTCHA: If the purpose of non-text content is to confirm that content is being accessed by a person rather than a computer, then text alternatives that identify and describe the purpose of the non-text content are provided, and alternative forms of CAPTCHA using output modes for different types of sensory perception are provided to accommodate different disabilities.
- Decoration, Formatting, Invisible: If non-text content is pure decoration, is used only for visual formatting, or is not presented to users, then it is implemented in a way that it can be ignored by assistive technology.
|NOTE 1: CAPTCHAs do not currently appear outside of the Web. However, if they do appear, this guidance is accurate.
NOTE 2: This success criterion is identical to the WCAG 2.0 Success Criterion 1.1.1 Non-text content with the words "WCAG 2.0" added before each occurrence of the word "guideline" and with the addition of note 1 above.
|Type of compliance||Inspection
- The ICT is non-web software that provides a user interface.
- The software provides support to assistive technologies for screen reading.
- Check that the software does not fail the Success Criterion in Table 11.1.
||Pass: Check 1 is true
Fail: Check 1 is false